Sunday, December 4, 2011

A Long Day and 3 Soggy Shirts

Today was the big day: 7 shows, 45 minutes long.  It always looks good on paper, until it stares you in the eyes the day of.  "What was I thinking?"  Answer: I wasn't.  Too late now, Bubble-Boy!  Time to dance.

It's not that bad.  Actually today was a great experience.  The 10am show had 7 people.  Thank God two were kids.  Halfway through the show I begin to wonder how I'm connecting.  No one is really responding.  Blink blink.  Then an older gentleman begins to take a phone call, talking loudly.  That was a nice touch.  At that point I began to go auto-pilot and just fake it till you make it to the end of the show.  7 or 7,000...the show must go on!

It was rough, by my standards.  The sound guy is doing the best he can, but not quite up to par.  The electricity was only about half power.  And every time I turned on the leaf blower the lights got brighter.  Always do the best you can with what you have, and 6 more shows. 

I reset for the next show and head out to find a quiet place to chill and gather my thoughts.  I step outside the back door of the hall into a walled in courtyard and grab a nearby broken metal chair that juuuust held me up.  I'm alone for the moment, or am I.  There are about a dozen cows grazing the tall grass of the courtyard.  I'm now at home.  My "Green Room" is green alright, with cattle eating the greens.  That made me laugh.  I needed that.

Next show was canceled, because nobody came.    The rest of the shows got more and more.  11 people...15....40ish...200...30.  After each one, the response was encouraging.  David played the Blue Gorilla in two parts of the show, and was a hit!

He actually went out and promoted the event.  They have a van with big speakers on top, and drive around town playing the ad spot...loudly.  David crawled up on top of the van, sat between the speakers, and waved at people as they drove around town!  (I know for sure his momma wouldn't have let him do that.)

All in all a great day.  It was long day, but when you do the same thing over and over it seems twice as long.   I made it.  Three soggy shirts and a pair of jeans that will need 4 days to dry out.  The cold shower didn't seem so cold after all that.  I had two yellow frogs that accompanied me.  They didn't seem to mind the cold water either.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear your comments, BIG or small...