Sunday, November 6, 2011

Less of Me

On October 17, 2011 I decided to finally move toward a healthier lifestyle.  I know after 32 years that complete change doesn't happen in that 2-minute montage that appears in the movies. In real life it takes much longer...dang it. (See all Rocky movies for examples)

Inspiration this time struck me in the oddest way.  I was reading the biography of Ben Franklin and read that he was a vegetarian, mainly to save money.  It may have been one factor for him living into his 80's.  There I was like 3 paragraphs into this chapter and BOOM... I started thinking about how I need to be healthier.  I weighed in the next day at 252 lbs.  I was about 185 lbs when I married Melissa 12 years ago.  I'm like 60 pounds more than then!  And why?

I love to eat.  On the road it's my favorite thing to find hole-in-the-wall mom and pop joints.  Too many church pot-lucks.  Those sweet old ladies with their sugary confections.  Truck stops and gas stations.  All-you-can-eat buffets.  And I don't have anyone standing there saying "Don't eat that!"  Self control has to be a part of my life if I want to enjoy a few more days here.

About 11 years I tried the Atkins low-carb diet with great success.  I lost like 25 lbs in two months, so I knew it worked for me.  Being on the road is my main concern now.  I will concentrate on exercise later, but I have to find something that works for me no matter where I am at.

So after 18 days I have lost right at 10 lbs.  I have been doing it and feeling good.  I think because I have brought down my sugar intake it has made a huge difference in my mental clarity, focus, and energy.  Melissa has started it with me, and as a family we will be making some changes.

Of course I'm only 2 weeks in, but it does feel good.  I can't really tell a difference of 10 lbs gone, but I feel better...healthier.  I'm about 5 seconds into my character-changing Hollywood montage, about 1:55 to go.



Written while drinking french-pressed decaf an listening to Coldplay's Mylo Xyloto.

1 comment:

  1. Well done. Real lifestyle change is hard. I look forward to not recognizing you in the near future.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear your comments, BIG or small...