Tuesday, January 8, 2013

How to "Voltron" your Prayer Life

Voltron: Defender of the Universe...remember that hero from the 80's?  One of my faves.  He was the bomb-diggity.  5 robots combined to make one massive unstoppable force.  Deep down, I believe Voltron is real.  Really deep down.  I know you do to.

I also believe in prayer.

So last week, I caught some stomach bug that was floating around.  All 3 of my punk kids got it, so I suppose I was on deck, and Thursday morning I awoke with a rumbly in my tumbly.  Nothing like waking up to nausea...am I right? Or am I right?  The worst part: it was 6am and I still had to pack and leave for Amarillo by 8am (a 4-hour drive).  Lovely.

So I had to Man-up, put my Big Boy pants on, and go to work.  I made it...without re-visiting the previous day's entrees, thank you very much.  When I got to the hotel, however, I had to hit the bed and try to sleep it off.  I had a show for that night at 7pm for a boat-load of pre-schoolers.  About 4pm I tried to start getting ready, and it was NOT GOOD.  I laid there in bed trying to get up, and every time I tried I felt worse!  "Why today?!" 

I prayed.  Oh, I prayed all right.  Just like every other time I got sick...or got pulled over...or changed a dirty diaper.  As I prayed though, I knew I needed to turbo-charge it somehow.  I needed the prayers of others to make the difference.  So as I laid there, in a cold sweat, ready to make a dash for the bathroom...I made a Facebook post: 

"Could use some prayers: I have a show in 2 hours and feel sick as a dog. I know my my friends, family, and fans know what to do!"

It's about all I could do.  I laid there for a few minutes, and then took a long shower.  Got ready, and waited for my ride to sound check.

I got to the church, and was feeling better.  Not 100%, but better.  Closer to showtime, I was good.  Not great, but not nauseated or dizzy or anything.  I got through the show and had a great time. I was even able to have dinner!  Next day, I was much better.  Night and day difference.  BOOM! Take that, stomach bug!

So, what is the moral to this blog:  Maybe the power of prayer combined with the power of social media equals awesomeness?  Sounds good to me.  It's like Voltron, taking one great thing and teaming it up with another to make one Ultimate robot who defends the universe.  So next time you need to pray, team it up.  Pray with others, because there is power in it. 

BTW: Thanks for all you who prayed for me that day.  I dedicate this post to you (wink)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear your comments, BIG or small...